2 tablespoons Gheehome made preferred
2 cups Dry Unsweetened Coconut PowderNOT coconut flour
1/4 cup Sugar
3/4 cup Milk
1/4 cup Milk Powder
20-25 Strands of Saffron
1 teaspoon Cardamom Powder
Barfi in India literally means a sweet and this sweet is made with coconuts !!
This is a decadent but quick & easy dessert made all over Indian during festive season. Medium Chain Triglycerides from coconut are easily converted to energy & it doesn’t raise your cholesterol level.
Its made with Ghee guys – the super fat which contains short chain fatty acids that promote fat burning from stubborn fat areas i.e midsection !! Sugar- fear not !
we have two ingredients here which lower the glycemic Index- coconut & Ghee . so smile & enjoy this delicacy- one piece at a time coz isn’t life beautiful in moderation ?
Saffron Coconut Cardamom Burfi Recipe
1) In a small bowl warm 2- 3 tablespoons of milk for 30 seconds in a microwave. Add all saffron strands to it. cover and keep aside
2) grease a square or round pan with few drops of ghee & set aside
3) In a large wok, add 2 tablespoons of ghee and melt it on high
4) Once ghee is melted, lower heat and add coconut, sugar, milk and milk powder.
5) Mix everything together very well for 15- 20 mins on medium heat until the mixture starts leaving the edges and comes together ( see video )
6) Add the saffron milk at this point. Mix very well again for 5 more mins until mixture leaves side of pan.
7) Turn heat off
8) Add cardamom and mix thoroughly
9) Empty the entire wok onto the greased pan
10) level surface using spatula
11) Add pistachios and press gently so it gets stuck to surface of barfi
12) cool for couple of hours
13) cut in desired shape - square, diamond etc
14 ) Enjoy
Tip- This can be stored at room temperature for upto 3-4 days and 1 week in the fridge.
How to Saffron Coconut Cardamom Burfi Recipe