- 2 cups Freshly grated zucchini
- 1 cup whole wheat flourcan substitute spelt flour or sorghum flour to make it gluten free
- 1/2 cup Chick pea flour
- 1/4 cup Corn flourmay substitute with semolina
- 1/4 cup EVOO( extra virgin olive oil) or coconut oil
- 6 Jalapenos /green chillies or habanero peppersAdjust to taste
- 2 inch piece Fresh ginger
- 6 cloves Cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoon Sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon Carom seedsoptional
- 2 tablespoon Greek or regular yogurtuse lemon juice to make it vegan
- 1 teaspoon Sugaroptional
- 1 teaspoon Powder Turmeric
- taste Salt
- 2 cups waterOnly if needed to bind dough
- 2 tablespoon EVOO
- 1 tablespoon Mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoon Sesame seeds
Steamed Sesame Zucchini Dumplings Recipe!
Cooking – Make Food Thy Medicine
This week’s tasty dish! Steamed Sesame Zucchini Dumplings! Prepared by Dr. Bijal Dave
Steamed Sesame Zucchini Dumplings Recipe
1.Put the steamer pot on the stove with 1 liter of water on medium heat.
2.Make a paste of green chillies, ginger & garlic.
3.In a mixing bowl, mix all flours together, then add salt, sugar,turmeric, sesame seeds & carom seeds ( if using carom).
5.Now, add yogurt,ginger garlic chili paste,zucchini & EVOO and combine everything together with your hands to form a very soft & sticky dough.
6.Use water only if dough does not come together after mixing everything well for 2 mins.
7.Grease the steaming basket of your steamer pot with oil on base & sides.
8.Now make cylindrical rolls of the dough between palms.
9.You may use whole wheat flour on your palms so dough doesn't stick to your palms and its easier to make rolls.
10.Once all rolls are made, place the steaming basket inside the steamer.
11.If you don't own a steamer pot & instead have an Instant pot, you can use a stand and place a round tray with holes similar to the steaming basket shown in the video to steam your dumplings.
12.Make sure that the water is boiling before you close the lid of the steaming basket as that will ensure that the dumpling turn out soft.
13.Steam them for 25 mins.
14.Once cooled, remove them on a cutting board and slice them into small roundels.
15.You can eat them as is at this stage served with dipping sauce of your choice.
16.To season them additionally, take a pan with 2 tablespoon of EVOO.
17.Once the oil is hot , add mustard seeds and sesame seeds.
18.Once the mustard seeds start crackling start adding the cut dumpling pieces to the pan.
19.Mix well such that dumplings are well coated with sesame & mustard.
20.Cook for 2 min and then take off heat.
Serve with either cilantro chutney or Sweet Chili sauce or Sriracha. Enjoy !
Add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda to the flours in the beginning if you want super soft melt in your mouth dumplings.
How To Make Steamed Sesame Zucchini Dumplings