2 small or 1 large onions chopped
2-3 chopped tomatoes
1 cup cooked chickpeas
4 inch piece fresh ginger
3-4 small or 1 small green chilies or jalapenos(adjust to taste)
1 bunch cilantro chopped
1 tsp. cumin powder or whole cumin
1 Tbsp. fennel seeds
1 tsp. ground turmeric
1/2 tsp. dark brown sugar( optional )
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
salt to taste( adjust to taste )
This is a comfort soup. You should make it when you want to eat a hearty meal, which doesn’t take forever to make.
The chickpeas are rich in protein, soluble and insoluble fiber which helps keep you full for a long time, and regulates blood sugar levels.
Plus, it has the sweetness of grape tomatoes in it, and the digestive benefits of ginger.
I’m using soaked chickpeas in this recipe as soaking makes the proteins in the chickpeas easily digestible.
I prefer not to use canned chickpeas as in general I avoid canned food unless there is no other option.
So, what are we waiting for?
Chop, flavor, blend, and enjoy!
1. Let’s start with chickpeas. If you are in a time crunch and did not get a chance to soak your chickpeas then use the canned version.
2. The healthier way would be to take the raw chickpeas previous nite, soak them in 2 cups of water. This will increase them in volume and make the protein in it easily digestible.
3. Pour 1 Tbsp. of EVOO in medium sized wok on medium heat.
4. Once the oil heats add the cumin & fennel seeds.
5. Sauté well, then add the chopped chili or jalapeño.
6. Then add the chopped onions.
7. To help them cook faster, add 1 tsp. salt.
8. Once they are translucent, add the chopped tomatoes, half the amount of cilantro, and grated ginger to the wok .
9. Mix well.
10. Now turn the heat to low, cover the wok and let it cook for 5 min.
11. Once the tomatoes are soft and release juice, puree everything together using an immersion blender.
12. Now we will add the chickpeas to the wok.
13. Next, add turmeric, brown sugar & salt to taste.
14. Mix it well.
15. Now cover with the lid, turn the heat to low and let the spices work their magic for 5 -10 min.…..basically simmer!
16. Turn off heat and transfer to the serving bowl and garnish with leftover cilantro and serve!