- 2 small or 1 big chopped onions
- 2-3 big chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chickpeas or garbanzo beans
- 4-inch inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 3-4 small or 1 chilies or jalapeno( adjust to taste )
- 1 bunch chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- half teaspoon dark brown sugar or coconut sugar( optional )
- 1 tabalespoon EVOO
- salt( adjust to taste )
This is a comfort soup. You should make it when you want to eat a hearty meal, which doesn’t take forever to make.
The chickpeas are rich in protein & soluble & insoluble fiber which helps keep you full for a long time and regulates blood sugar levels, which means it’s very healthy.
Plus, it has the sweetness of grape tomatoes in it, and the digestive benefits of ginger.
I’m using soaked chickpeas in this recipe as soaking makes the proteins in the chickpeas easily digestible.
I prefer not to use canned chickpeas as in general I avoid canned food unless there is no other option.
So, what are we waiting for?
Why save a roast for when the family come over?
This mini version’s great any day of the week
IP Chick Pea Tomato Soup Recipe
1 . Let’s start with chickpeas. If you are in a time crunch and did not get a chance to soak your chickpeas then use the canned version.
2. The healthier way would be to take the raw chickpeas previous nite, soak them in 2 cups of water. this will increase them in volume and make the protein in it easily digestible.
3. Pour 1 tablespoon of EVOO in medium sized wok on medium heat.
4. Once the oil heats add the cumin & fennel seeds.
5. saute well. then add the chopped chili or jalapeno.
6. Then add the chopped onions.
7. To help them cook faster, add 1 tsp salt.
8. Once they are translucent, add the chopped tomatoes, half the amount of cilantro & grated ginger to the wok .
9. Mix well.
10. Now turn the heat to low, cover the wok and let it cook for 5 mins.
11. Once the tomatoes are soft and release juice, puree everything together using an immersion blender.
12. Now we will add the chickpeas to the wok.
13. Next, add turmeric, brown sugar & salt to taste.
14. Mix it well.
15. Now cover with the lid, turn the heat to low and let the spices work their magic for 5 -10mins…..basically simmer!
16. Then shut the heat off.
17. Transfer to the serving bowl & garnish with leftover cilantro and serve !!!